About Posen Library
The Posen Library of Jewish Culture and Civilization, curated by leading Jewish studies scholars, is an anthology of texts and images containing thousands of sources—and growing.
Originally conceived of as a print collection published by Yale University Press, our sources are now being made available online. This free resource is available to academics, researchers, students, curators, clergy, educators, and everyone interested in Jewish history and culture. In 2024, we will bring the seven published volumes online and by 2027, all ten volumes (see list below), from Ancient Israel to the early 21st century, will be available in our digital library.
The writings and images contained in the Posen Library open a window into the daily lives, thoughts, and creative endeavors of Jews throughout history. Representing Jews across time and geography, these original accounts provide authentic and diverse insights, helping to make new connections to the past, present, and future. Sources translated int English include fiction, nonfiction, memoirs, poems, religious and political writing, as well as art, photography, architecture, and more.
Explore the Posen Library and delve into the rich tapestry of Jewish history, right at your fingertips.
From Ancient Israel to the late 20th Century
* Volume 1: Ancient Israel from Its Beginning through 332 BCE, edited by Jeffrey H. Tigay and Adele Berlin
+ Volume 2: Emerging Judaism, 332 BCE–600 CE, edited by Carol Bakhos
+ Volume 3: Encountering Christianity and Islam, 600–1200, edited by Arnold E. Franklin
+ Volume 4: Late Medieval Era, 1200–1500, edited by Jonathan S. Ray
* Volume 5: Early Modern Era, 1500–1750, edited by Yosef Kaplan
* Volume 6: Confronting Modernity, 1750–1880, edited by Elisheva Carlebach
* Volume 7: National Renaissance and International Horizons, 1880–1918, edited by Israel Bartal and Kenneth B. Moss
* Volume 8: Crisis and Creativity between World Wars, 1918–1939, edited by Todd M. Endelman and Zvi Gitelman
* Volume 9: Catastrophe and Rebirth, 1939–1973, edited by Samuel D. Kassow and David G. Roskies
* Volume 10: Late Twentieth Century, 1973–2005, edited by Deborah Dash Moore and Nurith Gertz
*Available in print now and digitally at posenlibrary.com in 2024!
+ Available in print and online before 2028.
Sample our curated collections and sign up to receive updates on our full launch and ways to use the Library in your work.